isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, July 10, 2005
Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in!
So... I get home tonight after the "relaxing" 4 day getaway. Relaxing, except for the fact that I have loved ones in London and my cell phone was only able to receive text messaging on the island. And even that, only on the edge of the pier off my cottage. Conversations were static to non-existent, so typing with my thumbs took up much of Thursday while I made sure everyone was present and accounted for.

Oh, and then there was that Cindy thing on Thursday night, which, in addition to scaring the crap out of me (worst lightening storm ever), and shutting off power for about 6 hours, totally flooded the island (seeing as it is only 4 feet above sea level, that's not hard to do). Will post pics later. We were cut off from the "town" until almost 4 in the afternoon. The shops (6) and restaurants (3) close by 5 or 6 anyway, and on this day never opened in most cases due to power issues.

After a really beautiful (but HOT!!) day today, I left the island on the 4:00 ferry and took the scenic route home this evening, stopping at the Choptank River for dinner at the Suicide Bridge Restaurant (seemed fitting - given my week), and got home around 10:00 PM.

I promised myself I would check phone messages and glance through the post mail, and that I would check e-mail but NOT blogs....

Well...You know how that went.

I had about a dozen new comments posted, so I had to go look at those, and then read the corresponding blogs. With all the pithy commentary on the London bombings, local goings on, people's interesting vacation posts, and just some seriously good writing out there that makes me want to crawl under a rock and never post again, etc.... I have posts and comments clogging my brain, but they will have to wait.

Should have just gone to bed in the first place. Out.
posted by Broadsheet @ 12:04 AM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Y'know, if there could be better proof that there's a God and He don't like you going on vacation ...

    -Malnurtured Snay

     
  • At July 10, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay - actually, I was thinking more along the lines that it was definitive proof that there IS no God! And thanks for "The Historian" - just the thing to be reading during a tropical storm on an island when the power goes out. I'll be sending you my therapist's bill :-)

     
  • At July 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Y'know ... I was warning you not to read it at night ...

    -Malnurtured Snay

     
  • At July 10, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay - Do I LOOK like a girl who does as she's told?? Seriously, with the only noise being thunder and the wind positively howling - it was DAMN spooky down there. The upside was that Friday night, the stars were AMAZING. I haven't seen that many stars that clearly since being in the Australian Outback - seriously. You could clearly see the Milky Way.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER