isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
So, I stopped by the BMW dealership on Saturday to check out a car I had seen advertised. There was a group of salesmen in the showroom, just standing there waiting to swoop in on the next person through the door. They reminded me of a line of cab drivers who politely take turns picking up fares.

An older gentleman breaks loose from the pack (I guess it was his turn) and heads right at me. Silver hair, elegant shirt, French cuffs, lots of bling - you know the type. Before he even reaches me, I hear the following: "So, what can I do for you today little lady?"

Stunned, I'm thinking; 'well you might want to consider taking back that last statement and rewind to baseline if you have any hope in hell of selling me anything.' I mean, "LITTLE LADY"??!! Somehow the notion of being a successful salesman for a luxury car dealer does not include calling your female clients "Little Lady" (not to mention the fact that I'm perhaps the antithesis of little lady to begin with).

They say people form their first impressions within about 60 seconds. This guy managed to crash and burn on take off.

Didn't buy a car - obviously.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:48 AM  
6 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 21, 2005, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Does this mean you're going with the Audi?

     
  • At June 21, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay: Dunno yet. I probalby won't buy anything until the end of July / Aug. at this point. too much stuff going on!!

     
  • At June 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor sod, he'll probably never know why he lost the sale!

    C

     
  • At June 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...mind you depriving yourself of a lovely new bobmarley for this reason is a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Neh?

    C

     
  • At June 21, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Campbell: Rest assured, the BMW purchase is ultimately not in jeopardy - just this idiot's commission! The car I was interested in was an automatic transmission and I want a manual stick shift. Of course, that took him by surprise as well.....strike two.

     
  • At June 21, 2005, Blogger Zenchick said…

    I once went with a friend to look at Hondas, and we arrived in my Civic. The salesman, after talking to us for a few minutes, went inside, came back, and addressed my friend with my (full and formal) first name. I'd had my car serviced there; he obviously looked it up.
    I almost said, "Buddy...are you really THAT dumb? That's *my* car, not hers!"
    Oy.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER