isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, May 22, 2005
Suburban rituals
I am a city dweller for many reasons: walking to most everything I need and everyone I want to visit; a close, tight knit community of diverse, interesting neighbors who chat across the fence instead of driving an SUV to someone's house for coffee; and an intimate yard and garden that is small enough to manage with my busy schedule and yet fill with flowers and hanging baskets, to make an inviting oasis.

Well, that's the dream anyway. The reality is that this last dream requires a fairly suburban series of rituals to accomplish. Sooooo, yesterday I went here, to buy flowers. A couple of hundred $$ later, and a car full of plants, I went here, and purchased one of the ultimate surburban accessories: a new gas grill . It would not fit in the car, obviously, so I am relying on Andrew's truck later this afternoon to collect it.

Then the last suburban stop. The much feared and maligned Sam's Club, is an absolute nightmare on a busy, bright Saturday morning. Every soccer mom, their kids, dutiful dads, and retireees in motorized carts zipping up and down the aisle buying toilet paper bales in amounts that stagger the imagination. As soon as I walked in, I wanted to turn around an walk out - the whole place gives me an anxiety attack, but I had a coupon (God, did I just say that??), for one of these, and I really wanted to take advantage of the beautiful weather this weekend to clean the deck and brick walkways. So..., after standing in line for more than 20 minutes, I bundled my prize into the car and headed home. This entire suburban shopping extravaganza took 4 1/2 hours. I unloaded everything, took a shower, and got dressed for a party at Jen's . Had a wonderful time and met some neat people - thanks Jen!!

This morning, it's back to city rituals. I'm off to brunch up the street with neighbors and fellow bloggers David, Rob , Zenchick, Cara, and this guy. A highly civilized, Sunday morning city thing to do. Afterwards, I will retire to my little city garden and try to transform it from the grey and dirty winter landscape, into the clean, bright, flower filled oasis that it can be with a little work and dirt under the fingernails. It's a good thing.
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:22 AM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At May 23, 2005, Blogger Jen said…

    Thanks for coming, and stay later next time! Hopefully, it will be warmer. BTW, I can't wait to open that bottle of wine you brought--it looks so fabulous! I just need to depickle first so I can fully enjoy it!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER