isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Luxury Problems
So.....The schedule for the New Orleans Jazz Fest is out.

So begins my dilemma. There are 11 stages at Jazzfest(10 not counting the Kids Stage), all playing music simultaneously from 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM. Therefore, you kind of have to build your own personal schedule around the master schedule for each day. Needless to say - with all the groups playing, and all the groups I want to see - there is bound to be some conflict where two groups are playing at the same time, and I have to make a King Solomon decision as to which one I'm going to. Like I said - luxury problem.

So here are the major conflicts. Opinions welcome:

1. BB King versus Jack Johnson vs Waylon Thibodeaux = I'm thinking Jack Johnson. I've heard BB King in concert before, but he does put on an awesome show. And Waylon Thibodeaux? Damn, I hate giving that one up just because it's real Cajun fiddle.

2. Jaimie Cullum vs Better Than Ezra = Jaimie Cullum may win this one. I saw him at the Newport Jazz Festival in September and he blew the crowd away.

3. Madeleine Peyroux vs Allen Toussaint = I think I gotta go with Madeleine on this one. Her latest album is just hauntingly beautiful, but then again Allen Toussaint is the real deal. This is hard!

4. OK - this is the worst one of all: Elvis Costello vs Dave Mathews Band = What were they thinking putting these guys on at the same time??!! I HAVE to see Elvis, so this one is less hard, but I know it's going to splinter our happy little group, and it annoys me to no end to have to choose between them.

5. Los Lonely Boys vs Trey Anastasio vs Terence Blanchard = This is a tough one. I'm a fan of all three and they couldn't be any more different. I think I'm giving it up for Trey on this on, but I might cop to Terence at the last minute depending on how the day is going.

Sunday is ridiculous. They have Isaac Hayes, Pete Fountain, The Neville Brothers (who always close the Festival - it's a tradition), AND a Coltrane tribute show featuring Ravi Coltrane and McCoy Tyner playing at the SAME time. It's like trying to pick your favorite child or something.

Ugggh. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
posted by Broadsheet @ 5:08 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER