isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
The Best Restaurants In The World for 2005
Interesting list, although none too surprisingly, the best restaurant in the world and the best retaurant in Europe are both in the U.K. (stop sniggering), and the magazine that compiled the list is.....you guessed it - a U.K. publication.

I've only eaten at two of the places on the list: Chez Panisse - Alice Water's place in Berkeley, CA, and The Spice Market in NYC. So...lots of places to go to!
posted by Broadsheet @ 2:19 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The hubris of Americans sniggering at UK food never ceases to amaze me. I mean it is not in the UK that you could make a film like 'Supersize Me', now is it? My experience of eating in the US runs to some fantastic restaurants at the upper level, plenty of adequate bistro-type places in the cities but beyond that all one gets are faddy gimmick outlets or woeful greasy-spoons and EVERYBODY serving portions that are the gastronomic equivalent of the Ford Edsel.

    C

     
  • At April 21, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    anonymous- I think the british reputation for serving horrible food is actually an earned one, although america has always (and stilll does) serve insanely large portions. The deep fryer is still the national stove of the british isles. Of course, haute cuisine in London has caught up with what is going up in New York, but that has only happened in the past 20 years or so.

    I have eaten at Chez Panisse. Very very good, but I think Waters greatest contrabution to american cuisine was creating a distinctively american culinary identity, and she did that 20 years ago. I waited on her and her husband once. She was nice enough, but he actually yelled at me for not carrrying a bottle of champagne like it was the Holy Hand Granade. Mind you, I'm fully capable of handling champagne correctly. He was just irritated that I didn't seem to treat it with the proper reverence... not to mention I don't particularly care for guests yelling at me, I don't who they are or what restaurant the represent.. I thougtht he was an asshole.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER