isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Best Birthday Gift Ever
At Easter, I did a post highlighting the importance of family and good friends. This evening, I got a call that just so perfectly illustrated this - that it absolutely made my day. And trust me - my days could use some making lately.

On a cell phone, from behind home plate at the Milwaukee Brewers / Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game, I get a call from my dear buddies Phil and John to wish me a Happy Birthday. Now, while that might not seem so unusual, John has been living in CHINA for the last 7 years, first as a rep for an industrial speaker/sound system company, and now for an export company, and intends to stay there. He is home in Milwaukee for his Dad's 80th Bday, AND to play drums in a Morrissey tribute concert in Chicago. His brother is playing bass. John has always been a huge rocker, and is a great musician. I keep meaning to get over to China to see John, but life doesn't always work that way.

John, Phil and I met at a Wisconsin Alumni event in Philadelphia about - oh, God, going on 12 years ago now? We, along with Diane, Julie and a handful of others, quickly became lifelong best friends. The kind of friends that simply do not come along every day.

Within about 5 years of meeting, we all got split up. John to China, Diane to Conneticut, Phil back to Madison for his Ph.D., and me to Baltimore. Julie now lives in Melbourne, Australia - so ditto that. I've managed to send three of my friends to stay with Julie (and her husband Andrew, and 4 yr. old daughter Thea) - including my neighbors Marcel and Barbie this Xmas. So I am now the pimp to the "Julie and Andrew, Kilda Beach B&B". If anyone out there wants a place to stay in Melbourne (Kilda Beach to be exact) - just let me know!

Anyway, our little gang used to LOVE going to baseball games together. We were HUGE fans of the Wilmington Blue Rocks, and devised many a drinking game to amuse ourselves on warm summer evenings. And oh, let's not forget about Buckley's shall we?? I seem to remember (or not - as the beer might prove), many a happy night on their rooftop, eating "Buckley Burgers". In fact, I seem to remember celebrating John's 40th B-day there before he left for China (and him swooning when Diane and I might have tongued his ears playfully as a birthday present).

Despite the distances, we've all kept in touch one way or another over the years. Actually, this blog has helped us reunite and keep in touch more frequently lately. Members of our little band of merry makers will be headed to New Orleans in 15 days!!! for the New Orleans Jazz Festival, but I will be venturing out to Madison this fall and go to a Badgers Game with Phil.

And John? I want to come to China and hear you play the drums sweetie.

WHAT a great feeling to hear such familiar voices on the phone, with a baseball game in the background, that took the time to remember a friend's birthday.

I couldn't ask for more. Thanks guys.

I warned them I would blog this, so boys, if you're out there - kisses and hugs and thanks for making my day!!
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:37 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER