isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, April 02, 2005
Belgian Bliss
I have to tell you, if the makers of this, ever need someone to do a testimonial, I'm their girl. This drug is the ONLY thing that has kept me even semi functional for the last 5 days, and it served me well again today.

Jwer, Mark, Jeni and I had planned to attend a Belgian versus Belgian Style American beer tasting / luncheon today at Mahaffey's, an Irish pub in Canton run by Jeni's roommate, the ever affable Wayne.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night - again - and was completely miserable. I couldn't even fathom meeting anyone for a social event, and decided I would have to call and bow out. But I took the pill, and voila - a few hours and a long hot shower later, I was actually feeling a bit peckish, even if I still couldn't taste or smell anything.

So - I picked up Jwer and off we went to the beer tasting.

Quite a well organized, well planned event. 6 Belgian Style US beers versus 6 of the real deal from Belgium. Wayne had gotten some local brewers and distributors to attend and introduce each brew. Each serving was just 4 ounces, which was a VERY good thing considering there were 12 beers with alcohol contents ranging from 6% all the way up to a whopping 18.1% (the place got noticeably rowdier after that sampling). There was very good food too (thank God). A VERY nice cheese selection as an appetizer, mussels (d'oh - it was a Belgian thing after all), a fantastic salmon entree and an angel food cake/ chocolate dessert offering with a dark Belgian Stout that was very nice (or so everyone said, my ability to smell and taste are very limited at the moment).

I didn't save the scoring sheet (and couldn't really discern much taste anyway), but some favorites were "Brassiers de l'Abbey des Rocs Gand Cru", the Belgian Tripels, Quads, and the Saisons. These traditional Belgian brews went head to head with their American counterparts from Old Dominion, The Brewer's Art (conveniently located down the street from me!), Clipper City, and others.

A good time was had by all as they say, and Jeni and I each won an authentic Belgian beer glass in the raffle!!! (Sorry Jwer). The event started at 1:00, and wrapped up around 4:30, (with an odd/awkward moment in the middle when all the local churches pealed their bells for the death of the Pope) after which, not having had enough beer, we decided to wander over to Growler's for more damage. Jwer and I took a break in between and ran around the corner to the Chesapeake Wine Company because I needed champagne, wine, etc.. for a dinner party for 8 people that I'm hosting tomorrow evening. Sadly, in Baltimore City, liquor sales are prohibited on Sunday, so even though I have plenty of time to shop and cook tomorrow, I had to buy the booze today.

By the time we got back to Mahaffey's, the group we were hanging out with was feeling no pain at all. Mark lead us on a VERY circuitous route through Canton(as Mark is wont to do) over to Growler's, where after one more beer, my cold medicine was failing me in a BIG, BIG way. I needed to come home.

So - Jwer and I returned. Me, off to bed (momentarily) to treat this flu/cold with some respect, and Jwer, to go out for more punishment. I got a call on the cell from Mark (or what's left of him), thanking me for coming, and that I missed ordering pizza. I can only assume that Mark will feel the full wrath of Lan Fin Du Monde tomorrow. Very amusing. I just need to figure out how to get the pics off his phone and onto this blog.....

And Jwer - if you catch this nasty illness because you shared my beers - I have just the drug you'll need.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:00 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 03, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    Did you NOT SEE my careful germ-thwarting glass-swapping manoeuver? Besides, I am impervious to disease. What do you think I am, David?

     
  • At April 03, 2005, Blogger Zenchick said…

    his reflection also doesn't show up in a mirror...

     
  • At April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Memo from the "Dept of You say Tomayto"

    In UK English 'momentarily' means 'for a moment' not 'in a moment'. I was once flying to NY on American Airlines when the pilot announced that we would be in the air 'momentarily' The woman sitting next me murmured 'Christ! I hope not!"

    C

     
  • At April 11, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    So how do you Brits say "in a moment"? We like the economies in language over here, so we use "momentarily" to have both meanings.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER