isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Friday, April 01, 2005
If you build it - he will come
Just like there is comfort food, there are comfort movies.

My absolute, all time, favorite movie EVER is about to begin on TV this evening. We're supposed to get 2+ inches of rain, thunderstorms, and overall miserable spring weather this weekend, and I am recovering (slowly) from a miserable head cold. This movie is a sign (in so many ways). So, excuse me, but I gotta run - the movie is starting. Need popcorn! (and Crackerjack!!) Did I mention how much I LOVE this movie??? Absolutely no coincidence that Opening Day is Monday, I'm sure.......

g'night all.

PS: A couple of new baseball movies worth checking out: The Upside of Anger, and Fever Pitch. I really want to see them both.

PSS: Oh yeah - "it's the place dreams come true".... "maybe this is heaven".... "wanna have catch?"

Pass the tissues - and it has nothing to do with my cold. Sob.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:00 PM  
10 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    Ahem. Mi mi mi mi: FEVER PITCH IS NOT A GODDAMNED BASEBALL STORY!!!

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Always brings a tear to m' eye!

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Ahem. I think you're thinking about another movie Jwer. Fever Pitch is the new Farrelly bros. movie that opens April 8 with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore.

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    I mean, come on, at least change the damned title; there's no PITCH in... oh christ, I just figured that out... that's [I'm?] so fucking stupid. Ugh.

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    So I see that you were posting yon comment as I was responding to you...

    Fever Pitch is the Nick Hornby novel before High Fidelity, and the "pitch" refers to a football pitch.

    Also, it has Colin Firth in it. Also, there were no Farrellys involved, which is pretty much always a good thing.

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    The movie has Colin Firth in it, that is. Rumor has it he wouldn't fit in the book.

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    You know jwer, the links are there for a reason :-)

     
  • At April 02, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    I am aware of the new movie, I am simply suggesting that it will not live up to either the book or the older movie. I don't need to click the links for that.

     
  • At April 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, couple things here ....

    Least relevantly, I was much amused -- speaking of soccer/football -- to see former Charlton (go you Reds!) thug and racist Lee Bowyer red carded for fist fighting with a FELLOW Newcastle player in their recent meltdown v. Aston Villa. All the best, asshole.

    But back to the, er, meat of the thread. FoD is, I suppose, the best movie set in my home state. I love Denis Johnson, but Jack Black just wasn't doin' it for me in the movie adaptation of Jesus' Son. Twister? Bridges of Madison County? Please. And I'm still trying to deal with my bitterness about the fact that the canonical movie version of State Fair -- set, of course, in Iowa -- was filmed in Dallas. And my personal candidate for best Iowa movie ever is still
    this
    little gem from Norman Lear, featuring Dick Van Dyke.

    As for FoD itself, the best line for my money is the one that disses the home of mighty Iowa State's cross-state rival: "first they'll come to Iowa City; and then they'll get bored; and then they'll come here!" Heh.

    Actually, one could piece together a semi-interesting couple days in greater Dyersville. Today's Sun article mentions only the "attractions" in the immediate area like the Farm Toy Museum (not bad, actually), the big-ass basilica in the middle of nowhere, and the Doll Museum (too scary for me to consider).

    But you're also in easy striking distance of Stone City/Grant Wood country, very decent art and Czech culture museums in Cedar Rapids, the new Museum of the Mississippi in Dubuque, the Lubivitcher cowtown stronghold of Postville, and the most excellent farm home of my goddaughter Hannah, outside Strawberry Point. There's even, like, hills 'n' stuff in those parts. And if you do get bored, you can always make the two-hour-ish drive up yonder to Madison and see what dirt you can dig up on our gracious hostess.

     
  • At April 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Comfort movies? 'Gilda' when my heart is broke, 'Aladdin' when I feel that my inner-child is not getting enough attention and 'Get Shorty' when it is 3a.m and I am home from a party drunk.

    C

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER