isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, February 01, 2005
Sully takes a Holiday
Andrew Sullivan is going on hiatus after five years of blogging. I for one, will miss him. I certainly didn't always agree with him, in fact, most times I didn't, but he wasn't afraid to take on issues, always presented both sides, and had a great sense of humor (even if his sense of himself was a little too full sometimes).

I know I've maddened and delighted, inspired and infuriated, provoked and calmed, irritated and moved you. I know this because you've told me in what now amount to hundreds of thousands of emails. I've made friends with people I have never met. I've learned more from your emails than I ever would from merely reading the papers.
I look forward to his return and the new format when it appears. Watch this space.
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:09 AM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Me too; he was a great whetstone against which you could sharpen your ideas. My main reservation, apart from his general politics, was that I found his take on the UK just wrong more often than not. Not wrong in that I disgreed with his politics but wrong in tthe simple sense of being mistaken, which is downright odd. I mean his vendetta against the BBC was weird; you'd think the Corporation had jilted him. It made me wonder about how much I could trust him on the facts about the USA.

    Psychologically I also find him fascinating; an English, working class, Catholic homosexual who went to Oxford, became an American, came out as gay and HIV+, supports the Republicans and is, overall and in general, a defender of the Roman Catholic Church. It seems to me that he is always trying to join the club that DOESN'T want him as a member.

    But I will still miss him.

    C

     
  • At February 01, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Yeah - he was a walking conflict of interests that one. I think I remember him getting burned by the BBC for something once upon a time that lead to his bittereness - I noticed it too. I just will never understand how he rationalizes and reconciles his staunch Catholicism with his homosexuality. I left the church ages ago over a lot less than that - gladly.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER