isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, January 30, 2005
Caper Berries and Blog Backlash
It's been a fun filled day of drama, glamour, and activity at Casa de Linda. There was much of the sleeping in, followed by much of the watching of CNN and the Sunday morning pundits, whilst drinking much of the coffee, and much of the reading of the Sunday NYT (I can multi task).

This vigorous activity was followed by a refreshing shower, and then an hour long phone call from my friend L. in London, who berated me for dropping off the face of the earth via e-mail. Hmmmmmm, I got the same scolding from my Mom and my friends E. in Colorado, J. in California, and J. in Melbourne, Oz, this week as well. Here I thought the creation of the blog would eliminate the need for the pesky, intrusive, group emails about the tawdry goings on in Charm City and my pet political / media / cultural interests. But, seeing as how none of the aforementioned friends have an interest in stopping by a web page a couple of times a week, they nonetheless want the content of those e-mails sent to them directly.

Apparently, there are three types of people on the internet. E-mailers who don't blog (or read blogs), bloggers who don't e-mail (to a varying degree), and people without blogs who live vicariously through other people's blogs and comments (and you know who you are).

This idea was brought home to me by my Mom, to whom, against all my better judgment (although I am an adult woman), I finally sent the link to this site when she asked me for a recipe for Kedgeree which I had posted a couple of weeks ago. So...I forwarded the post to her via e-mail. Two days later, I get an email: "Weren't you going to send me that recipe?" I did, I replied - it's on the website. "Can't you just cut and paste it, and send it to me via regular e-mail so I can print it out?"

Sigh.....

Meanwhile, Mom - if you're out there, I'm dancing the main pole at the Hustler Club on the Block this week. 9:45 pm show... Just in case you're interested.

Guess I need to find a balance between the blog, and staying in touch with the non-blogger types, which admittedly is still the majority of friends and family.

Ah - but what about the rest of your glamour packed Sunday you might ask? Not that you did. There was reading (see sidebar links), laundry, shuffling papers around on the desk trying to pretend that I'm fiscally responsible and won't have to work till I'm 90 (no - I can't get a new car, I can't get a new car...) And the most exciting activity of the day you ask?....Cleaning the fridge.

I made a huge batch of yummy Brazilian Black Bean soup last night, but there was so much stuff in the fridge, that I had to set the pot out on the back porch. Since I couldn't identify many edible items in the fridge that caused this overcrowding, I decided to empty it out and downsize.

It would seem I have an addiction to marinades, and Asian/Indian condiments. I'm sure there is a 12 Step Program for this, I just need to admit I need help. They put all these wonderful sounding ingredients in a bottle for you, and all you have to do is pour it over some seafood or meat, cook it up, and voila! Well, I buy them and use them once and they sit in the fridge. I started with the rule that anything dated with '03 on the label got tossed, and there was one jar of hot sauce that had eaten a hole in the metal lid - yikes. Out you go. Then we moved on to lots of little plastic containers with NYE party leftovers in them. NYE was a month ago = toss it. Of course, there was also the usual assortment of cheeses gone bad (penicillin anyone?), and mystery containers with mystery food in them that went straight to the trash - do not pass go, do not collect $200.

By this time, I had cleared an entire shelf. In the process, I discovered I have four opened jars of Spanish Caper Berries. I effin LOVE caper berries. I eat them like pickles straight out of the jar. I also seem to have a strong fear of running out of them.

At any rate, the soup is now living in the newly voluminous, sparkling clean fridge, and there are four bags of trash and countless recycling containers rinsed and stacked.

Who says I don't know how to have a good time?

Tune in next weekend when we reorganize the basement storage room and clean the freezer.
posted by Broadsheet @ 4:39 PM  
5 Editorial Opinions:
  • At January 30, 2005, Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said…

    Too funny, your observation about people and their preferred modes of communication. However, my mom is several steps behind yours -- I find myself really wishing that she would give up the hated telephone for regular email contact instead. She is not too good about this idea. It's very frustrating.

     
  • At January 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1) Are you lookin' at me???

    2) With you it is caper berries, with me it is anchovies. I once achieved 8 opened unfinished tins

    3) You enjoying Lynne Truss?

    C

     
  • At January 31, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    C -

    1. Yes - I'm looking at you ;-)
    2. You and my Dad - ick! Caper Berries are ever so much more delish than smelly fish.
    3. Lynne Truss is da bomb! She's ever so much funnier in person than in print. I heard an interview with her on NPR where she read some exerpts from the book - hilarious stuff.

     
  • At January 31, 2005, Blogger Maktaaq said…

    Yup, that's why I started my blog.

    I actually hate receiving emails from my real-life friends. I never have time to answer emails anymore so they just get buried in the mix. Anyhow, this sounds snobby, but I have a no-email policy for anyone with the same area code. I prefer the phone, gets things done quicker.

    I think email is cold and impersonal among friends unless we can save on long distance charges.

     
  • At February 01, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    This just in: caper berries rule.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER