isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Social Climbing
I moved to Bolton Hill almost eight years ago. Almost immediately upon moving here, I heard rumors of an event called the "Lollipop Lane Dinners" which hold an almost mythical place in the neighborhood social structure. It seems you have to have been born, or lived in the neighborhood for decades, not years, to garner an invitation, and it is quite a well heeled, selective group made up of movers and shakers of Bolton Hill and Baltimore Society. Their monthly pot luck get togethers are well known for both the quantity and quality of food and drink consumed at them (a foodie competition), as well as the eclectic nature of the people in attendance, and the kind of decisions that get made as a result. Very influential group.

The group is run by a few older couples who live, not coincidentally, on Lollipop Lane (yes, it's a real street). Invitations have to come directly from them, and are not given lightly.

This morning, I went to the Baltimore Farmer's Market with my good friend and surrogate Mom, Clare. We stoked our bags with fresh rhubarb, asparagus, spring lettuce mix, fiddle head ferns, goat cheese, and all manner of fresh produce. Clare likes to entertain at the drop of a hat, and it was a beautiful spring day, so I went home and we agreed to meet back at her place for drinks and a casual Sunday night supper created out of all the great things we bought that morning.

True to nature, Clare called a few other people to join us. When I showed up at 6:00, I immediately recognized a couple of the Lollipop Lane gang. I know them well, and have met them many times at other social events. But this evening, I finally garnered a personal invitation from one of the founding mavens to join the group at their next dinner.

I may be one of the youngest people there, but I have arrived (either that, or I'm simply old enough to be accepted).
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:49 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At May 13, 2007, Blogger tfg said…

    Well, for God's sake, don't start a foodfight at the table.

     
  • At May 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that my perception of the exclusivity of these sort of things is self defeating, but I would absolutely love to wait decades to be considered for inclusion in a group like this, and at my first dinner drop trow and make a deposit on the charger. No offense, but the whole thing makes me recoil.

     
  • At May 14, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Anon: I happily admit to the lack of self esteem that makes something like this seem appealing to someone like me, but in a real sense, I have to also admit that this "class separation" still exists. We may not be England, but it's not a long shot by any means.

    That said, your point is understandable and very well taken, but would be much more justified had you had the courage to post your name or identity.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER