isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
All the Pretty Horses
They are constructing much needed additional parking garages on campus to ease the parking crush at work. During this time, we are renting the parking lots at what is arguably one of the most famous, and the second oldest horseracing track in America. There is a short shuttle bus ride from the racetrack to the hospital. Everyone seems to be griping about the inconvenience, but as a newcomer, I find it quite convenient. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for the shuttle, they are air conditioned, drop you off at the entrance, and hell - it's FREE. At my old place of employment, parking on site cost $150 a month, and then you had to walk 3 blocks to get to your office.

This morning, I came in to work at 6:30 AM, and it was still a little foggy. The sun was just beginning to rise above the horizon. I parked next to the hedgerow immediately adjacent to the track and stopped to watch the riders exercising their mounts in the early morning mist, while trainers watched from the sidelines with their stopwatches in hand, shouting times and instructions to the riders.

Some riders were galloping full out, racing each other in mock earnestness. Others were simply going through their morning workout at a slow canter, varying the speed and distance.

At 6:30, it was already 75 degrees, and the dewpoint was almost 70, so the horses were taking advantage of what little cool weather we will have today. By 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, it will already be too hot for them to work out.

It was a very, very pretty, almost romantic, sight. Having had a love affair with horses when I was young, it made me wish I hadn't grown out of it as most girls eventually do. I may have to start throwing my camera in my bag in the morning to take some pictures.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:45 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At August 03, 2005, Blogger deanne said…

    Oh definitely take some pics! I can just see the image in my head already! Sounds very cool indeed.

     
  • At August 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a client who works at Pimlico. She warms up the horses for the trainers. You probably see her out there everyday. I always ask her questions when she calls because I think her job is so cool. Warming up the race horses!

    Fool

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER