isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Pot Calling the Kettle Black?
Dunno, but I'd like to see a similar referendum on Christian Literature and the Bible before free speech gets de bunked. The Da Vinci Code was a fun and harmless read in the same sense that Michael Crichton stretches the limits of current scientific abilities and reason to render implausible consequences of currently feasible if not applicable scientific theory. If the Church is that convinced that Dan Brown is wrong - then apply scientific and academic scrutiny to the suggestions and prove them wrong. Faith alone is not going to win this one, and deliberately suppressing the women's role in the early Christian church does not seem far fetched given other evidence to support it.

Look - I'm not necessarily supporting the Da Vinci Code here. But I have had long held suspicions and disappointments in the Catholic Church's ability or willingness to adopt, interpret, or investigate any possible alternatives to the current doctrine.

Criticize all you want, but the phrase "He who lives in a glass house" comes to mind here....
posted by Broadsheet @ 11:37 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 15, 2005, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Hey, are you an ex-Catholic, too?

    Dan Brown was being sued by the authors of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail." He stole a lot of their research from that book for his. I think I have a link - yes - here:

    http://www.malnurturedsnay.net/BlogData/archives/2004/12/well_not_only_d.html

     
  • At March 16, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Yes - I'm a "Recovering Catholic". If you haven't guessed by now, I don't play well with others in patriarchal dictatorships (i.e. the Catholic Church). I've never been good with "believe this because I say so". I need to beleive it because I know it's true and I can prove it, or it's been proven to me. I'm a confirmed agnostic at this point.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER