isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, March 24, 2005
Crab, Artichoke and Portobello Mushroom Melts
I need to write this down and post it before I forget the combo.

My friends know how much I like to cook and entertain, and if they're really good friends, they get to sample my modest attempts at such. The highest compliment I ever got was when my friend Andrew, challenged during a "truth or dare" game, "Where would you want to eat all your meals if you could pick one place forever?" His answer? = "Linda's!"

Thanks hon, you have a lifetime pass.

I come by it honestly, my mother is the best amateur chef on the planet - hands down. I know everyone says that their mom is a great cook , but seriously, my mother has always been way ahead of the curve.

Both of my parents have always been dedicated "foodies" and passed that on to us. I was a Navy brat, and when we ended up in Western PA after stints in San Diego, Hawaii and other places, we were the only family in town to have Taco Night, Enchiladas, Chicken Kiev, Chinese Stir Fry and other "exotic" dishes in the early 70's. I think my parents were adventurous about food because their parents weren't . They both came from very traditional, ethnic, German backgrounds. So much so, that even using garlic in cooking was an anomaly (although my Grandfather, "the Colonel" - really loved to cook in his later years, and specialized in amazing soups. I'll have to post some of his recipes later).

Anyway....Tonight I came home to odds and ends in the fridge. Sam's Club had a sale on crabmeat, and I wanted to do something with that. Looking through the odds and ends, here's what I came up with and it totally ROCKED. Any recipe that starts with "One pound of lump Chesapeake Bay crabmeat" simply cannot fail. Therefore:

Large Portobello Mushroom caps - whole
1 lb Lump Crabmeat
1 can artichoke hearts: drained well and chopped
1 whole roasted red pepper: chopped
6 slices really good bacon, cooked, chopped
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
½ cup good, shredded cheddar cheese
1 TBL Emeril's or other good Creole seasoning
fresh ground pepper
Grated, white cheddar cheese

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut the stem and scrape the gills out of the mushrooms
3. Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a bowl except for the White Cheddar Cheese
4. Generously mound the crab mixture into the Portobello mushroom caps
5. Sprinkle with the white cheddar
6. Cook until brown and bubbly. About ½ hour

This makes a ton of crabmeat filling. The number of mushroom caps filled depends on their size, but this should serve six generously.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:44 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER