isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, January 22, 2005
Snowflakes
Or Nuclear Winter if you believe the news reports. The threat of the first major snowfall of the season here on the East Coast turns the local newstations into ratings whores. Live! On the scene! 24 hour coverage!

It's not even snowing yet.

Last night, I was forced to run all the errands I so carefully procrastinated about all week. The line at the video store was 20 people deep, and the pickings were mighty slim. I mean, I was forced to rent "Troy", OK? Wasting an hour or three watching Brad and Colin isn't the worst way to weather a storm I suppose. Anyway - I come out the door, and there's the local ABC affiliate shining a massive camera light in my face interviewing people "stocking up" for today's natural disaster. I should note that this particular shopping plaza is near "TV Hill" - a high spot in the local geography with a plethora of radio and TV towers and stations planted on it, so it was tres convenient for these folks to schlep over and check things out.

On to the grocery store. Madhouse. No milk - at least not skim. Daft people leaving shopping carts in the middle of the aisle while they peruse the selection of frozen pizzas. I thought it somewhat amusing that the largest crowds were in front of the ice cream freezers. I mean - it's a SNOW storm, not a heat wave. Whatever.

Finally make it out the door and - guess what? Channel 11! The NBC affiliate is running their own gauntlet of interviews and peering into people's carts. Luckily, they were mesmerized by a family of four they were interviewing and I was able to sneak by in the background on that one.

On to the wine shop - no cameras there thankfully.

Live! On the scene! First snowflakes are falling - it's 8:50 a.m.

Time to make coffee and light a fire.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:35 AM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At January 22, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Mark: Sorry to hear about Jeni's Mom. Please extend get well wishes, and please tell me that this particularly badly botched piece of surgery did not take place at my hospital!!

    MisfitToy: Welcome! I'll be sure to check out your site as well.

     
  • At January 22, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Mark - ummm - yeah, there's a little thing called HIPPA you might want to ask me about. Talk to you tomorrow.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER