isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Baby it's cold outside
I usually take the Metro to work. The Metro stop is a 2 block walk from my house, I go three stops, and voila - it let's me off directly at work. My commute is a whopping 12 minutes or so.

But - it was 9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning with a windchill making it feel like zero and the "high" today is 20. That's when the heated seats in the Jetta seem very attractive. I rationalized the thought of paying $10 to park for the day in return for heated seats by thinking I could accomplish all the errands I so successfully ignored all weekend like grocery shopping, returning DVDs, the dry cleaning, and mailing some gifts and correspondence at the post office after work. So I packed my lunch (leftover Korean delivery - why cook when it's a phone call away?), gathered the laundry, found the DVDs, got the packages together, went out to heat up the car, and fed the cats.

The car hadn't been touched in over a week. I simply haven't had the need to go anywhere that I couldn't walk or take the Metro (I had a lift to a social event or two), and hence another reminder why I don't need a new car. My locks were frozen shut on the driver's side so I had to get the car open from the passenger side, and the car sounded really annoyed at being awakended in such cold weather (much the way I felt this morning).

Went back in the house - fed the monsters, and got in my nice toasty car with the heated seats.

Of course, I left my lunch, the laundry, the packages and the DVD's on the kitchen counter......

Oh well, I hope my housekeeper likes Korean food....
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:57 AM  
7 Editorial Opinions:
  • At January 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Slow down sweetie!! I got wise and witty 'Editorial Opinions' backed up my yingyang and not enough time to get 'em all down!!

    Walking in cold weather BURNS CALORIES like nothing else at least so I tell myself when I get of the Tube one stop early on a shitty day.

    : - )

    C

     
  • At January 18, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Thanks Mom. And I do believe I said I rationalized this one....

    It's supposed to snow later tonight, which means the grocery stores will be packed this evening with panicking people buying up all the milk and toilet tissue they can get their hands on. Should have run the damn errands yesterday.

     
  • At January 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your last sentence will be carved on my tombstone. Ask anyone who knows me!

    Ah 'to rationalise' Verb meaning to lie to oneself.

    C

     
  • At January 18, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    And YOUR last sentence will be on my tombstone - ask anyone who knows me ;-)

     
  • At January 18, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Sorry - it's the same except for the word "Medicine" at the end of it, and yes, the "other" campus gets the short end of the stick. Realistically speaking however, it's pretty hard to call the Metro "mass transit" - it's almost an oxymoron in this town compared to any other major city that has one.

     
  • At January 18, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nine degrees? It would have to warm up 16 degrees to be that warm here.

    You southern folk have it soooooo good.

     
  • At January 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER