isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, June 13, 2005
Vacation, all I ever wanted.....(redux)
Here we go again.....

I've never really been much of a beach person. By that, I mean laying on a beach all day doing nothing. Brilliant activity for a day or so to be sure, but then I need to DO something. I am however, very fond of beaches themselves and the sea (I wanted to be a marine biologist as a kid), and I'm even fonder of islands. The more remote, the better.

The most remote island vacation I've ever taken without doubt, was with my Dutch roommate from graduate school and her husband and kids to Vlieland, an absolutely magical barrier island in the North Sea off the coast of the Netherlands. No cars, just bicycles, wild Friesan ponies, and sleepy little dune cottages. A pony with a cart even delivers your luggage from the ferry and your groceries! The place is heaven on earth when combined with dear friends - quite literally.

In July, the Caribbean and Mexico lose all their appeal for me. Especially when I left work this evening and the temp was reading 102'F! I love the Caribbean as an escape from Baltimore winters, but in July?? Not so much.

So, with that in mind, I had to pick another island for a five night getaway before the new job starts. So here's the itinerary. You might think it a bit odd, but I have always wanted to visit this place, and the weather is only right for that about 12 weeks a year:

Only July 2, I am flying to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where I will rent a car, and check in to a historic Bed and Breakfast on the coast. From there, I can explore the Bay of Fundy, and maybe even ride the tidal bores of the world's highest tide. The next day, I will explore the Cape Breton coastline before taking the ferry from Caribou to Prince Edward Island. Here, I have booked three nights in the adorable Bayberry Cliff Inn, where my Swiss host, Katharina, will lend me her bicycle for touring, and I have my own private deck looking out over the sea cliffs. From here, I intend to bicycle to as many of the island's lighthouses as I can manage, and to take a day sail from Cardigan. I suspect there will be a few lobster rolls and lobster dinners as well!

After three nights, I will drive back to Nova Scotia via the 8.1 mile long Confederation Bridge, tour some more, and eventually end up back in Halifax for my flight home. Five nights, six days, = perfect.

I can't imagine being able to set this itinerary up, and book places to stay ala carte, without the internet. It was fun doing it myself, and without a travel agent. The Maritime Province is a part of North America I have always been curious about (especially since reading Annie Proulx's "The Shipping News" years ago, and the " Anne of Green Gables" series as a little girl. Can't wait to go!
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:07 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 13, 2005, Blogger Maktaaq said…

    I feel like saying "Welcome to Canada" or some such thing. I've never been outside of BC & Alberta in the 30 years I've lived, but Nova Scotia sounds wonderful!

    As for your rant, it showed up on my RSS feed, so I can resend it to you so you don't have to write it out. Rant or no rant, it's very valid and it irritates me too. It's a good letter.

     
  • At June 14, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Maktaaq: Thanks! I was trying to edit the post to turn down the heat a little bit while still getting my point across when I deleted it. I tend to get feisty after a couple of glasses of wine. That post was actually a letter I composed, which I edited (soberly) last night and sent to the bastards at Royl Carribean. I am even more excited about my little Maritime Province escape however. Too bad you live so far way - Vancouver Island is high on my list as well, but I would want to spend the week if I have to fly that far.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER